Wednesday, December 26, 2012

12 in 12 Linky Party!

I'm in a rather nostalgic mood, so I'm thinking it is the perfect time to reflect on the many changes that have come my way in 2012. It is also a good time to look forward to 2013 and the many changes that lay ahead. I'm happy to be linking up with Miss Kindergarten and A Teeny Tiny Teacher to share my 12 from '12!


12. Favorite Movie:
Life of Pi was a gorgeous and thought provoking movie. I am guaranteed to go to one movie a year! The day after Thanksgiving the sisters, brother, and their families who gathered together for the celebration of thanks head off to a movie the Friday following. Luckily, I hadn't read the book, so I wasn't constantly comparing or thinking how much better the book was!


11. Favorite TV series:
I'm slowly making my way through Mad Men. Being from the 60s myself I love seeing the references to the products, history, clothes and cars of the era. The characters are pretty despicable,  but there are a couple I can't help cheering for including Don Draper!


10.  Favorite restaurant:
A little Chinese place in town is where you can find our family frequently on Friday nights. The owners speak really poor English, so we smile and nod a lot! The price is just right and we all have our favorites. We usually get a box of donuts free when we leave because they like my daughter's curly hair. Last week they gave us a whole order of Spicy Chicken that was a "mistake"! They are good people who cook good food and I feel like family when I'm there!


9. Favorite New Thing You Tried:
I've tried nothing this year...NOTHING! I take that back. . . I tried blogging! Guess what? I like it! I like you for reading it, too! I've made some amazing friends from all over the WORLD!!
The one of the left is my favorite! Birds by THE Kevin Henkes!
I noticed my friend Laurie at Chickadee Jubilee had favorite book as number 9...How'd she get to do that? I'm going to interject my favorite book here. It was recommended by Laurie and I knew I had to have it. I can't wait until spring to share it with this years class.
8.  Favorite Gift I Received:
Let's keep this a secret between the two of us.  I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I was amazed at the gift my daughter made for me out of Sculpey for my birthday this year.

 Isn't this awesome? She is such a wonderful talented artist. She also made this...


7. Favorite Pin:
It is kind of like my favorite book! Whatever I'm reading is my favorite! My favorite Pin is what I last pinned!!
This is perfection.

I don't have a kitty yet, but as soon as my allergic to cats child leaves for college in the fall we'll need to get one. I'm a sucker for a cute kitty picture. I torture myself regularly by going to the Saturday cat adoption center to just look!

6.  Favorite Blog Post:
It has been fun to look back and read over some of my posts. The one that comes to mind when I think of favorites is probably the one that talked about my friend who was living in Africa. She had to leave the country she and her family were living in due to social unrest. The Way of the Cross was a family project and I'm happy to say "Susan" and her family are now basking in the sun (and Son!) in a warm country frosting cookies in their bathing suits! It wasn't that popular of a post, but one that meant a lot to me!

Another favorite post is one not written by me but by Laurie! Someday I'm going to go visit her to see this...Check it out!
5. Favorite accomplishment:
Starting something and sticking with it! I've been blogging for close to a year. I still get thrilled with every new follower and every comment. It is an amazing community of educators to be a part of!

4. Favorite picture:
I love sharing nature with kids!
3. Favorite Memory:
My weekend in Chicago with my girls will long live in my heart! We had an awesome time and running a 5K with my oldest who lives in Chicago was an amazing adventure from beginning to end. I'm wowed by the independence of my daughter and how she handles herself everywhere she goes with style and confidence will never cease to amaze me.

2.  Goal for 2013:
I like to set attainable goals for myself! I will try to get out on more adventures and see more birds. I will spend more time enjoying my family. I will always try to see the good in all people.

1. One Little Word:
Content
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:12 
I know what the secret is...It is basing my joy on the treasures I have in my faith and not on earthly circumstances. I'm still learning...It isn't an inborn trait!

That's it, 2012! Thank you for being a year filled with more blessings and joy than sadness. Thank you for being a year of continued growth and fulfillment. Welcome 2013! You WILL be a year filled with more joys, more lessons, more blessings than I could ever imagine. I look forward to whatever comes our way!


t

5 comments:

  1. just found your blog, and as soon as I'm finished commenting I will follow. I, too, love exposing kids to nature. My school has a beautiful garden that the kiddos love. The greatest joy of my job comes when kids bring acorns and flowers, etc... to show me. That's when I know I've made a difference.

    Take care, and enjoy the holidays!

    karen
    LittleSecond-GradeSomebodies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your 12! I'm guaranteed one movie a year too, because my parents and I go to one on Christmas Eve. It was "Lincoln" this year. By the way, your daughter is very talented. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many things to say about your 12 in 12...
    1-Content was almost my word as well. However in general I am very content...just not with the being single part of my life.
    2-I had to change to my favorite book...because I couldn't think of anything new that I had done and I couldn't very well reflect on the year and not mention a book!
    3-You are such a great new friend! Well not so new anymore:-) I always look forward to your posts and your comments. Much love from the West coast!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to consider you my friend. I am going to work on my OLW. I was thinking about balance, but I'm not sure that's it yet. I love the owl sculpey too.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Jenny!!
    Life of Pi was one of my favourite books a couple of years ago.
    Love your daughter's gift to you:)

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!