Wednesday, February 20, 2013

National Day of Whispering and a Freebie

Did you celebrate today? My class celebrated Whisper Day all day. I'm not sure if this is an actual holiday or not but I'm sure it isn't as much fun as National Doughnut Day! I greeted my students today with a whispered, "Good morning and you get to whisper all day!" Somewhere upstairs during the night I lost my voice. I'm sure it had something to do with the headache and sore throat I had over the weekend. Now I have a VERY talkative class, but I didn't feel bad enough to call myself sick. Bless their hearts they whispered ALL day. Even my owlet who regularly hoots in his outdoor voice whispered.

It is amazing to me that when you raise the level of expectations, kids rise to them. They worked harder at Daily Five than I've ever seen before. And thank goodness for all the routine I've built into the day because I didn't have to give a lot of directions...They just did it! Even though I couldn't give a lot of verbal cues they have made such great progress that I could write information or directions for them to follow and THEY DID! I had such a great day with them that I think we'll make it National Week of Whispering!

All day I have been laughing over one owlet who(ooooo) I heard talking whispering to another. "Please stop parannoying me." She then changed it to an I message... "I mean, it parannoys me when you keep talking to me!" I went over and talked to them about it. What is parannoying I wondered out loud. Apparently it is even worse than annoying! This same student is quite artistic and asked why we didn't color as much in first grade as she did in kindergarten. So I came up with  a special worksheet dedicated to her. We are working with ordinal numbers, so this will be helpful for the whole class! Want one? Click on the picture and break out your crayons!



8 comments:

  1. LOL... this made me laugh. Now I want to go see what all the special days are that may be coming up soon :) I love that you made your little one a special sheet :) If your kids are like mine, they are quite opinionated on what they want. I owe one of my kids some football sheets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opinionated definitely! My kids would love to visit you and get some football sheets! They are so into sports this year that I'm actually finding myself following different teams much more closely than I have ever done in the past! Thanks for stopping by!
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. I missed it. I am so not on the ball this year....first I miss halfway day and now I miss whisper day! Well I may have to make it up....I need a whisper day:-) I have been singing to my kids...I pick a pop song they know, but change the words. One of my kiddos told me to keep my singing in my own bubble.


    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could definitely use a Day of Whispering! I've never had such a talkative class. We have a Snow Day (well actually sleet and cie day) today so my ears can have a rest. : )

    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your sweet post. I hope you get your voice back soon.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss such a wonderful day?! Next time I lose my voice, we'll have to have ourselves a National day of Whispering!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I ever miss this wonderful day!!!! I think I may need it tomorrow.... just for fun! Thanks for the super cute freebie!!!! I'm thinking I may have it on their desks in the morning. :)

    Maria
    http://curiousfirsties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. You make me want to tell my own kids to whisper all day. It might be fun. I'm pretty loud, so it would be a challenge for me too. Thanks for the freebie!

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!